Monday, April 11, 2011

First of a new Regular Feature: FIST FEAST: La Taquisa...aruba!...i mean Ariba!

Spring has sprung...burrito juice all down the back of my leg. The sun is out and so is the street food creep - FINALLY! My girl Hannah and I ventured into the blossomed streets of the Cook St Village to hit up La Taquisa.  In the heart of the village in an ample outdoor alcove, La Taquisa sits solo (they where neighbored by Red Fish Blue Fish last summer...why they are not there? answers please!) with a great seating area and standing fire pit - still needed for the chilly breeze.    The two cooks running the show (I want to say Bret and Derrek but I;m embarrassed to say that I think I'm wrong - corrections welcome) were super sweet even though I harassed them with a barrage of whiny questions regarding the sorry state of food cart numbers and Victoria's tardiness in following the Portland trend of parking lot food courts.  This is when I got some friggin killer news: that alcove is going to be full of food vendors very soon! I am floored. You guys do get how amazing this is going to be and how much this could open up street food culture in Victoria, right?? I just know yer all with me on this one...so definitely more on that in the future.
We both ordered burritos straight up, with chicken - mine espicy.  We struck up a conversation with another apparent connoisseur and thoroughly enjoyed the dripping mess that snuck out of the burrito (which I opened upside down...shocking - I know).  This to me, is what street food is all about - making minute-to-minute friends, shooting the breeze about food and community and hanging out in the sunshine, or the rain or climate-change -rapture- induced deluges of blood - whatever.
La Taquisa is doing it right, in my opinion. they make their own flour tortillas right in front of you, the service is fast, friendly and engaging, made to-order and they actually ask you if you are enjoying it. It was fantastic...It's not just about what you eat but how the experience went down.  I think sometimes people get confused and think that I just love to eat.  Not the case...it's a lovely bi-product, but it's really about the way food is experienced as an aspect of a strong culture.  La Taquisa is a fine example of this.
I look forward to getting back there to try the 5 tacos of your choosing for $10 and to trying out the other vendors set to make their debut, shortly.








Check out La Taquisa on facebook to have some say in their expanding menu and to SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment